Mercedes-Benz has always cared about being a leader in safety innovations. Over the last few decades, the company has continued to release new technology that improves their vehicles’ safety features. These features work to prevent accidents before they occur and assist drivers in having a smooth and safe ride. Let’s explore what some of these safety innovations are and how they protect drivers.
One of the most advanced safety features in Mercedes-Benz vehicles is PRE-SAFE®. Although it was designed nearly 20 years ago, this system and its updated features are just as relevant as ever. The system uses a network of sensors to detect potential hazards, such as an impending collision or loss of control. If PRE-SAFE® detects a hazard, it will take a number of steps to prepare the vehicle and occupants for the impact, such as:
- Tightening the seatbelts,
- Closing the windows and sunroof,
- Adjusting the front head restraints, and
- Braking the vehicle.
These actions can help to mitigate the impact of a car accident, reducing the risk of injuries.
Another important safety feature in Mercedes-Benz vehicles is the Active Lane Keeping Assist. This system uses a camera to detect the lane markings on the road. If the system detects that the driver is drifting out of their lane, it will vibrate the steering wheel and send a warning sound. In some cases, the system can even automatically steer the vehicle back into its lane. This technology helps prevent accidents by keeping the driver in their lane and preventing them from drifting out of control.
Advanced Safety Features
Mercedes-Benz vehicles also feature a number of other advanced safety features, such as:
- DISTRONIC® Plus with Steering Assist: This system uses radar sensors to maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. It can also automatically steer the vehicle to keep you in your lane.
- Evasive Steering Assist: This system uses a camera and radar sensors to detect other vehicles and pedestrians. If the system detects a potential collision, it will automatically apply the brakes and help the driver avoid the hazard.
- Intelligent Light System: This system uses a camera to detect oncoming traffic and pedestrians. It can then automatically adjust the headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers and pedestrians.
- Highway Driving Assist Plus: This system is an enhanced version of DISTRONIC® Plus with Steering Assist. It can now automatically change lanes, adjust the speed based on speed limits, and stop for traffic lights and stop signs.
- Evasive Steering Assist with Active Lane Change: This system can now automatically steer the vehicle out of the way of a hazard, even if the hazard is in the adjacent lane.
- Rear Automatic Braking: This system can now automatically apply the brakes when the vehicle is reversing and it detects an object in the way.
- Blind Spot Assist with Active Sideguard Assist: This system can now warn the driver of vehicles in their blind spot, and it can also automatically steer the vehicle away from a vehicle that is in the blind spot.
These are just a few of the safety innovations from Mercedes-Benz. The company strives to make its vehicles as safe as possible, and they are constantly working on new ways to improve safety.
Passive Safety Features
In addition to these active safety features, Mercedes-Benz vehicles also have a number of passive safety features, like many other cars. These include:
- Crumple zones: These are designed to absorb the impact of a collision, helping to protect the passengers inside the vehicle.
- Airbags: These deploy in the event of a collision, helping to protect the head, neck, and chest of the passengers. One innovation from Mercedes is a rear-seat airbag, which deploys from the back of the front seats to protect those in the back.
- Seatbelts: These are designed to keep the passengers in their seats during a collision.
- Side impact airbags: These deploy in the event of a side impact collision, helping to protect the head and chest of the passengers.
These passive safety features can help to protect the car’s occupants in the event of an accident.
The latest safety innovations from Mercedes-Benz are helping to make driving safer than ever before. By using a combination of active and passive safety features, Mercedes-Benz cars do their best to prevent accidents on the road.