Never before has a smart been so strong. With 80kW/109 HP, the brand-new smart Brabus claims its position as one of the sportiest cars in its segment. Brabus worked on its engine, suspension, steering and transmission to make the tiniest car in the Mercedes-Benz range good for a racing sensation.
The power of the tiny Benz went up by 5 kW and 23 Nm, respectively, reaching 80 kW/109 HP at 5750 rmp and 170 Nm of torque at 2000 rpm. These are the figures making the smart run the 0 – 100 km/h distance in 9.5 seconds, with the Brabus-made forfour version hitting a top speed of 180 km/h. So what did the German tuner do to give the itsy-bitsy vehicles the power of a hot hatch?
- the fuel pressure is now up by 2 bar
- the springing/damping of the Brabus performance sport suspension are 20% firmer, while the ESP has been specially adapted.
- the sports-tune Direct Steer system features an increased return torque, giving a more precise feedback, taking the communication between the driver and the vehicle to a whole new level and giving a better control.
- the twinamic 6-speed dual-clutch transmission now comes with a 40% faster response time and shorter-legged ratio and it boasts a Race function, that the driver activates by simply releasing the brake pedal after previously depressing it and flooring the throttle pedal.
- optimised Brabus sport exhaust system.
smart BRABUS fortwosmart BRABUS fortwo cabriosmart BRABUS forfourNumber of cylinders/arrangement3 in-line3 in-line3 in-lineDisplacement (cc)898898898Rated output (kW/hp)80/10980/10980/109at rpm575057505750Rated torque (Nm)170170170at rpm200020002000NEDC consumption (l/100 km) urban/extra-urban/comb.5.2/4.1/4.55.2/4.3/4.65.4/4.2/4.6Combined CO2 emissions (g/km)102104104Efficiency classBBBAcceleration 0-100 km/h (s)9.59.510.5Top speed (km/h)165165180Price from (euros)smart BRABUSsmart BRABUS Xclusive19,71022,71022,97025,97020,52023,520
And it’s not just the electrical and mechanical twist that makes the sporty smarts stand out. The latest generation comes with matt grey rear diffuser insert with chrome-look tailpipe trims and high-sheen and matt painted Brabus Monoblock IX light-alloy wheels.
The smart fortwo sports Yokohama tyres of 185/50 R 16 H at the front and 205/40 R 17 H at the rear, while its big brother rolls on 185/45 R 17 H and 205/40 R 17, respectively.
All new smart Brabus models come standard with the Cool & Audio package and the proximity warning function. The fortwo coupe and the fourfour boast a panoramic roof.
If all these should still not be enough, the customers can tick the Brabus Xclusive box for special features bringing an even greater sporty feeling. The package includes sport seats wrapped in nappa leather/black leather with grey topstitching, an instrument panel with a typical Brabus look as well as a Brabus-styled dashboard instrument with cockpit clock and rev counter.
Floor mats with the tuner’s logo and Xclusive badgers in the mirror triangle and the B-pillar are also included. The highlight of the package are the LED & Sensor package and the heated seats for the driver and front passenger.
The new smart Brabus makes its debut in China, at the Beijing Auto Show. The first models will hit the showrooms in July.
First video ever of the new smart Brabus forfour:
First ever video of the new smart Brabus fortwo: